Papay winter view
Links to Papa Westray-related articles and websites
Articles and features
- open group including the Papay Noticeboard
- - The Papay Development Trust's plan for the future
- - Available from online bookstores
- (The Arts Desk)
Papay Gyro Nights Arts Festival Catalogue and Boogazine exploring an interaction between contemporary art, the place, rituals and folklore
- - Account of a visit to Papay, published in 1868
- - 25th September - 2nd October 2004
- - List of shells found on Papay by Christine Street (pdf file, requires Acrobat Reader)
- - A sailing ship that once supplied Papa Westray
- - Review of Jocelyn Rendall's history of Holland farm
- - a real education!
- - Discussion material on the origins of the name Papa or Papay with extensive
archaeological reference material on Papa Westray and other 'Papa' locations in Orkney and elsewhere.
- - more details about this ancient site
- - Anna Ritchie recalls the pottery that dated the oldest standing building in western Europe
Grays in the North Isles of Orkney
- - Papay Community Council Minutes
- - First census of Papa Westray
- - Second, more detailed census
- - 1994 article by Christopher Lowe (pdf file)
- - Account of a song thought to have been written by Colonel Thomas Traill of Holland, Papa Westray
- Article by Will Self about a visit to Papay in 2006
Getting to Papa Westray
- - Twice-weekly direct ferries plus information on connections to Westray.
- Flights to and from Papa Westray, including the shortest flight in the world.
Of the shortest flight on YouTube
a well-stocked shop owned and run by the local community
- - Craft Shop and Post Office
- - Papay Arts Centre.
- - Self-catering cottage
- - I collect and capture in resin seaweed and other botanics from my island home. Unique wearable art...a little piece of Orkney to wear and enjoy forever.'
Comments or suggestions for reciprocal links please e-mail: Webmaster